Morley Area Fire Department
After suffering 3 major fires, Morley organized a Fire Department. The records are incomplete, but the Village records of 1907 show an appropriation for fire apparatus. Fire mains were laid throughout the village with water being supplied from the Little Muskegon River.
The Village of Morley and the Townships of Deerfield and Aetna drew up an agreement on March 23, 1949 and two firetrucks were owned jointly by them. The next equipment purchaed was a 1968 Chevrolet Truck equipped by Howe Aparatus Co. at a price of $15,092.
In 1973 members of the Morley Fire Department decided that they wanted to train and become first responders for medical emergencies, and the Morley Rescue Squad began. In 1993 several members of the department received special training in the use of a sem-automatic defibrilator which was the first unit not on an ambulance in Mecosta County.
At this time, there are 24 active members of the Morley Area Fire Department that have completed various levels of firefighter training. Many have also completed the training to qualify as first responders and 2 members are licensed by the State of Michian as EMT’s and Paramedics.
Recent additions to the Morley Area Fire Department include a new:
- Pierce Contender pumper mounted on a 2007 Kenworth Chassis that was purchased by Aetna and Deerfield Townships
- 2011 Ford 350 1 ton, 4 door, 4 wheel drive rescue unit equipped with a Spenser Apparatus Aluminum box. This unit was purchased as a joint venture between Aetna Township, Deerfield Township and the Morley Area Fire Department. The Village of Morley made a large contribution for new and replacement equipment to go on the new unit.